Beets are available year round, and are always a GREAT addition to any meal! Beets are considered a SUPER FOOD! Aside from all the fiber and nutrients beets can lower cholesterol, boost your stamina, fight inflammation, help detox the body, and they have anti-cancer properties. In other words, we should all eat more beets!!! This is a quick and easy dish that steams beets, rather than roasting, which cooks them SUPER quick! Which means you have no excuses to not eat more beets!
(recipe adapted from The China Study Cookbook, if you haven’t read the China Study, you should!)
- 4 medium beets
- 6 cups fresh kale (baby kale works well!)
- 1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp. fresh dill
1. Wash the beets and cut off the tops (Save these! They can be sauteed for a healthy delicious addition to stir-fry)
2. Peel the beets and cut them into into small wedges. Steam over boiling water for about 20 minutes
3. In medium size frying pan, saute’ the kale with a 1/4 cup of water, until kale begins to turn dark green (don’t overcook, you don’t want soggy kale!)
4. Mix remaining ingredients in small bowl, and pour over kale, saute’ an additional two minutes
5. Add steamed beets, mix, remove from heat, and serve hot!
Don’t forget to admire the Beet-i-ful beets! They’re just so pretty!